Eating with Braces
During orthodontic treatment, you will be asked to avoid certain types of food that may damage your braces. In general, hard, sticky, crunchy and chewy foods should not be eaten while you have braces as they have a tendency to damage them, which may lead to a longer treatment time. Minimize sugary foods; they cause tooth decay and related problems. Nail biting, pencil and pen chewing on foreign objects should also be avoided
Foods to Avoid:
- Hard foods such as candy and nuts.
- Sticky foods such as caramel and gum.
- Chewy foods like hard rolls, bagels, and licorice.
- Crunchy foods such as chips, popcorn and ice.
- Large foods that you must bite into such as whole apples and carrots.
- Sugary foods like soda pop, gatorade, juice, kook-aid, cookies and candy.
Foods to Enjoy:
- Soft breads, tortillas, pancakes and muffins.
- Dairy products such as milk, pudding and cheese.
- Soft grains including pasta and rice.
- Meat such as ground beef and shredded chicken.
- Fish and seafood.
- Vegetables that are soft such as mashed potatoes, beans and spinach.
- Soft Fruits such as applesauce and bananas.
- Sweets including ice cream, milkshakes, gelatin and cake. (once in a while)
We want to make your orthodontic treatment as comfortable and quick as possible! Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions that you may have about living with your braces.